Wednesday, January 18, 2017

18. Dear Noble,


This past Saturday night your father was out late, I'd put you down at your new and improved bedtime of 8pm and was attempting to watch tv. At 3am after answering your hourly calls for comfort, the migraine I'd been nursing for 2 days prompted me to slow down on the way to your room and make a consideration. Empowered by my academic curiosity, I returned to the couch and watched you thrash and cry on the monitor. Cruel, yes, to start sleep training you in the middle of the night a day after vaccinations, but Baby, your rousings were really wearing me out. You were sobbing as I rigidly settled in for a marathon of The O.A. on Netflix, but I kept an eye on your safety and quietly cheered you on. You only cried for 45 minutes before I caved and picked you up, but by then my mission was realized. After a quick and stoic feed, I placed you back in your bed and said my final goodnight. You bawled for 40 agonizing minutes and then you were out! Like, your power switch had been flipped. The next morning, you woke up sweet as ever and the decision was made. We're now a few days into following the guidelines set forth by The Dream Team in Dream Sleeper. You're not logging a solid 12 hours yet, but our pride and faith in you is overwhelming. 
You're asleep now. Twisted into a ghastly corkscrew, sure, but silent. Peaceful. Asking for nothing. Occasionally you let us know that you're struggling under the weight of your head, rasping and squealing in hopes that we've changed our minds about this cold torture. Daddy and I have tried lying in this twisty position, wondering if we should sneak in and turn your head so you can spend some time off the left side of your face. I think your neck will be stiff tomorrow, but you'll surely be sweet about it. We'll work in a massage before playtime, and some Tylenol for that tired throat you've been screaming out of.

You were measured and jabbed on Friday and we learned you've only put on 6oz in 2 months, but you've grown 3 inches. At 18 weeks, you're 11 lbs 15 oz, 25.75 inches and marvelously alert. My research suggests this attentiveness was due to your precious few hours of sleep and nap resistant nature pressing you to run on adrenaline, but now that we have you sleeping (and crying) more, you're becoming a much more manageable 4 month old. Forgive us for pushing you to conform, but if we let you make these decisions you'd never get any time to recharge and absorb all that you're learning. You know how your tickle giggles have been dissolving into tears? I was plucking your tender heartstrings into hysteria, Darling. So rest, Baby. We have two-handed shit to do.
Auntie Jade and Foggy showed you how to enjoy a rainy Sunday
Your grab and chew habits are really starting to pay off. You're even holding your bottle on your own these days. Such a virgo!
Reading my favorite finds from work. John Langstaff's Frog Went A-Courtin and Over In The Meadow.


Doing that thing you do.

Here you are enjoying some Raffi in the car. It really is magical music. Thanks Angie!

No comments:

Post a Comment