Sunday, January 1, 2017

15. Noble's First Noel

The new year is upon us, but before we get wrapped up in resolutions, I want to revel in a few really precious accomplishments from this last week.
Endlessly fascinated by her hands, Noble can almost get her mouth around her fist. She has cried a tear, babbled a lot, sat up in her lounger unassisted, "walks" pretty well for someone who's never walked before and enjoys swimming atop my outstretched legs in the bath. She's in a distractible phase and pulls off the boob at the drop of a pin, eyeing me as if she's just realized she forgot to turn off the stove.
 Her stretches are a thing to behold, her sneezes a spray of affection and social grace. She gives great gummy smiles if you're a charmer, and the anger I'd grown so fond of in her cries has faded to a sad resignation. In the night, when we're fighting for and against sleep at each other, I hold her tight and sing ballads until I've exhausted my repertoire (track list available upon request). Rocking in the dark nursery, smelling lavender oil and soothed by white noise, sometimes she's asleep before I hit the Christmas carols,  and sometimes I am.



Oh, Christmas. A time for people and places and thinning nerves while navigating between.  Noble's been raging against car rides these days - night rides being the ultimate betrayal - so cruising well-lit neighborhoods was out this holiday season. Often becoming fussy after dark, her sundown syndrome is an enduring challenge for me. While driving it folds my mind into tiny and tinier origami, threatening to set it on fire as the miles pass.
We attended no less than 3 holiday gatherings over the weekend and had to call in frazzled to the fourth on Christmas Day. On our last 2 hour car ride she let us know that it was enough, so we turned around on our way to join the family for Christmas dinner. Home at last, she went down for her nap easily so Daddy and I went to work unpacking, tidying and even pulled out the massage table for a true Christmas miracle. Which is exactly how babies are made.


Hope your holiday was a special splash of colors you'll never forget. Here's a little moment of zen, from us to you.


Love, 
The Morenos

No comments:

Post a Comment