Saturday, June 17, 2017

9 Months: Noble's Dad (Dear Noble)

Thanks to Judd for this hot snap
It's Father's Day, Baby. I'm so pleased to celebrate and to be sharing my favorite dude with you, that bearded paragon of masculinity - dadliness? -humanity??? - that won't stop smiling at you, your father. You may have heard him called Daddy, Babe, Bill, Billy, Ducky, or Bill Nice; he has many names. I call him Uncle Bill when I think his inner guidance counselor has taken over, and need a way to rebel against being helped. He truly is bubbling over with perspective, beneficent encouragement and appreciation for the most obscure notions, and if I didn't already have a favorite uncle (looking at you, Kerry!) I should hope to have one like him.

A beloved personality across many realms, Magic: The Gathering splashed his name into prominence many years before you were born, and gave him the worldwide fan base he deserves. An unsung philosopher and poet, passionate about social change, conversation and justice, his inquisitive presence has the power to diffuse surges of violence, (though he has been politely asked not to return to the state of Missouri) and more than once I've seen him come through many a traumatic ordeal unscathed. His ideal schedule includes a 4 mile morning walk, where he organizes his thoughts, writes lyrics and sweats through his shirts while rapping and schlepping fruit home from the store. If you happen to be into hip hop even a pinch more than I am, he's going to be thrilled. He's building a collection of songs, (don't forget this one with Berm and Swale,) that will no doubt serve as a timeline for his journey through his 20's, 30's, fatherhood, and beyond. He's a rapper baby, he's going to spit at you. His voice is just a vessel, but the hot fire he's shaping is the key to his innermost feelings. Unlocking his heart shouldn't be a problem though, as he's more than happy to talk at length about anything you want. And more. (And more.)

Before you were born he played in a recreational basketball league, and we attended all of his games. I filmed them for you, so at the first sign of interest we'll put together a highlight reel. Man, if you're into basketball he's gonna be over the moon.
For your first 8 months he was at home with you, having been a casualty of a mass lay off just a little while before you arrived. This means you were together a lot more than you have been lately, making googly eyes, nuzzling and bonding over things that crinkled and buzzed. Nowadays he spends his working hours at home designing games and coming to investigate your laughter at every opportunity.

He is a highly affectionate person, and dazzled me into a surprising tolerance of PDA when I was already well into my 20's. Can you conceive of your 20's? I have high hopes they'll be full and wild, lived to the max. Your dad was a real dynamo in his 20's, when I snagged him.  He's since grown into the breeziest, most effervescent husband I've ever had. An enthusiastic student, he is a great lover of habits and innovation. It is likely our shared love for life hacks that keeps our marriage afloat - that, and my stunning reversal of my ban on movie theater nachos. When it was just the two of us, I often scrimped on the basics to the point of mania - hovering nearby while Bill did the dishes to turn off the faucet between plates seems ludicrous now that I run a bath for you every night. I've barely glimpsed the surface of his skills, aggro micro-managing over-achiever that I am. I forget that people have been successfully managing their lives without me (you being the exception) and it's often a strain to contain myself. I rely on him to help me unpack my thoughts, balance our budget and open cans of pickles. He indulges when he discovers something like power clashing, and has a range of laughter I'll attempt to illustrate thusly: his courtesy laugh (you'll have one of these too) is a subdued, murmured chortle, what you'll hear most often is his easy, choppy chuckle, but when you hear his high pitched, rapid mad-hatter trilling warble you can be sure something ridiculous has happened. Likely in a basketball game.


So there you have it. He's traveling a lot this month so I had to draw on memories to paint this picture, but I think it is a faithful portrait. You're 9 months old, and you have your own opinions about him, but if you think you love him now, well, just wait until you see him dance.















No comments:

Post a Comment